Baker Reagan Mayfield or popularly known as Baker Mayfield is a professional football quarterback for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL. His football career began when he joined as a walk-on player for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. However, Mayfield soon transferred to Oklahoma to play for the Sooners after a supposed scholarship issue and lack of communication with his coaches. During his senior year in 2017, Mayfield managed to bagged several awards such as the Heisman Trophy, Walter Camp Award, Maxwell Award, and an All-America recognition.
His professional football career started when he got drafted by the Cleveland Browns as their first overall during the 2018 NFL Draft. During his first game at the NFL, Mayfield manages to lead the Cleveland Browns to their first win in 19 games. He also threw 27 touchdowns during his 13 starts for the Browns and broke the rookie-season passing TD record of 26, which was previously held by Russel Wilson and Peyton Manning. In this article, we are going to learn more about Baker Mayfield by listing down some of the facts most people may not know about him.
- He became a walk-on twice – This may be a well-known fact by now, but Mayfield played eight games as a walk-on when he was a freshman at Texas Tech. After spending one season, he decided to leave the program because of miscommunication between him and his coach, Kliff Kingsbury. Mayfield also walked-on at Oklahoma, where he lost a year of eligibility before eventually getting the starting job.
- Mayfield was once an impact freshman – During his run as a Red Raider, Baker Mayfield managed to complete 64.1 percent of his pass attempts for 12 touchdowns, 2,315 yards, as well as nine interceptions. He also capped his 2013 season by earning Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year honors.
- Mayfield got arrested in Arkansas – in 2017, and it seems that Mayfield started on the wrong foot. This was because he got arrested in Fayetteville, Ark, because of disorderly conduct, public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing. After this incident, Mayfield issued a lengthy apology and called it as one of the biggest mistakes he made in his life. As a punishment, Mayfield had to undergo university alcohol education and have 35 hours of community service.
- Baker Mayfield seems to lack interest from significant programs – According to Rivals, Baker Mayfield was a three-star recruit that has offers from different teams such as Washington State, Florida Atlantic, and Rice.
- Baker Mayfield got into some controversies while he was in his senior year – Mayfield’s senior season was filled with plenty of headlines about him. One of them was about the aftermath of Oklahoma’s big win over Ohio State wherein Mayfield planted the Oklahoma flag at the midfield after the Sooner achieved their 31-15 victory. The other one was when he grabbed his crotch then yelled inappropriate words at the Jayhawk’s sideline.
- A car accident brought him closer to his mom – Baker Mayfield’s mom got into a car accident in April 2015. This accident killed three people as well as his mother’s friend. This accident formed a strong bond between Baker and his mom.