Texas Wesleyan University is a private Methodist university located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a 75-acre campus that sits 140 feet about the Trinity River. This article will learn more about Texas Wesleyan University, its history, and its academics.
History of Texas Wesleyan University
In 1890, the Methodist Episcopal Church founded the Texas Wesleyan University as Polytechnic College. The church formed a committee that is led by Bishop Joseph S. Key, and they are the ones who were put in charge to look for locations for the campus. Luckily for them, Fort Worth’s area pioneers, George Tandy, A.S Hall, and W.D Hall, donated land located on the east of Fort Worth. In 1891, the school held its first classes, where it had a total of 111 students. Eleven years later, H.A. Boaz became the university president and led it to a period of moderate growth. He was also the one who wanted to turn the Polytechnic College into a new university for Southern Methodism.
In 1914, the Methodist Church leaders decided to select Dallas as the site for Southern Methodist University. This resulted in the Polytechnic campus being designated as the woman’s college for Southern Methodism. Still, it eventually became Texas Woman’s College, which attracted several young women from the Southwest and around Texas. However, the university faced declining resources during the Great Depression, that is why in 1931, the college’s trustees voted to close the school. A union with the financially secure Texas Wesleyan Academy in Austin saved the college from failure. That is why the college was renamed as the Texas Wesleyan College in 1934. Aside from that, the college also started to readmit men that same year, which marked the return of the college’s coeducational status.
During the 1970s, the university decided to add graduate programs in education and nurse anesthesia during the 1980s. In 1988, Texas Wesleyan agreed to renew its commitment to the historic Polytechnic Heights Neighborhood location by constructing the Eunice and James L. West Library. Along with this, they also had a growth in programs; that is why in 1981, the trustees decided to change the institution’s name to Texas Wesleyan University.
In 1997, the Texas Wesleyan University built a campus in downtown Fort Worth and relocated the Texas Wesleyan University School of Law. In 2013, the TWU School of Law was sold to Texas A&M University for $73 million.
Academics of Texas Wesleyan University
Texas Wesleyan focuses on developing critical thinking skills, which is why it has a strategic plan that requires the faculty to develop measurable analytical reasoning, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills in students based on assessment metrics and academic proficiency.
Seventy percent of Texas Wesleyan University’s classes are attended have about 20 students, and University has an average student-to-teacher ratio of 15:1.
Texas Wesleyan offers 27 areas of Honors and Pre-Professional Programs and undergraduate study. On the other hand, the university offers graduate programs in education, counseling, law, nurse anesthesia, business, and education. The university’s students are also welcome to participate in pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, pre-counseling, pre-ministry-seminary, and Pre-professional programs.
The Texas Wesleyan University academics are divided into six schools or programs, and these are:
- School of Natural and Social Sciences
- Graduate Programs of Nurse Anesthesia
- School of Business Administration
- School of Arts & Letters
- School of Education
Throughout the university’s history, it has remained closely affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It also maintains unique relationships with several United Methodist congregations. Some of the university’s trustees are from the United Methodist Church. They also keep the Methodist tradition and welcomes individuals of all faiths while remaining thoroughly inclusive in its practices.