Kyle is a town situated in Hays County, Texas, and it is considered to be one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas. It is 27 miles away from the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, and there’s a lot of places that you can go and enjoy here in Kyle, such as a golf course, parks, swimming pools, playgrounds, and a library. In this article, we will know about the history of Kyle, Texas, and the places you should go and see while you’re there.
Kyle was established in July 1880, when David E. Moore and Fergus Kyle gave 200 acres of land to the International-Great Northern Railroad for a townsite. When Kyle opened its doors, it attracted new businesses and residents from Mountain City and Blanco. A man named Tom Martin owned and operated the first business in Kyle, and in 1882, the community’s population reached 500. However, it later declined.
In 1928, Kyle was incorporated as a general law city that has a mayor with five council members. Nine years later, Mary Kyle Hartson, the daughter of Fergus Kyle, got elected as the city’s mayor via write-in vote. During the early 1940s, Kyle became the only town in Texas to have an all-woman government.
Kyle was also the childhood home of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Katherine Anne Porter. Most of her popular short stories, like “Noon Wine”, are set around Kyle. Today, Porter’s former home is now a writer’s open residence, and you have to arrange an appointment.
Things to Do in Kyle, Texas
- Play Golf at Plum Creek Golf Course is a clean and well-maintained Par 71, 18 hole golf course covering over 200 acres of land. Wildflowers and oak trees also surround it. To top it all off, the staff here at the Plum Creek Golf Course are very friendly. If you love playing golf and you happen to be in Kyle, then this is the perfect place for you.
- Kyle Swimming Pool – In most months, Kyle has a pleasant climate with sunny weather. That is why if you want to cool off and enjoy a bit of swimming, then the Kyle Swimming Pool is the place to be. Aside from the clean and fresh pool, you can also grab some delicious snacks. It is also an excellent place to enjoy some fun family bonding time.
- Lake Kyle Park – This is a beautiful and relaxing place where you and your kids will enjoy. It has a lovely playground, and you can also enjoy fishing along the bank of the lake. Aside from this, you can enjoy spotting different kinds of wildlife here, such as rattlesnakes, herons, pelicans, hawks, beavers, and turtles. Apart from that, Lake Kyle Park is also the host of a big hot air balloon festival every year.
- Kyle Market Days – If you happen to be visiting Kyle from April to September, do not forget to stop at Kyle Market Days, which is open every second Saturday. You can score some great fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables. Besides that, you can also buy some local handmade items here and some souvenirs. You can also enjoy some good music and delicious food while you shop.
- EVO Entertainment – Evo Entertainment is a one-stop place where you and your family can have some fun. This place is perfect for all ages because it has billiard halls, bowling alleys, a bar and grill, an arcade, and a movie theater.
- Katherine Anne Porter Literary Center – This is a historical house included in the National Register of Historic Places. This is the childhood home of award-winning writer Katherine Anne Porter, and it is converted into a museum that honors her. Aside from Porter’s works, it is also a famous literary center.