Cypress is an unincorporated community situated in Harris County, Texas. Being an unincorporated community means any local municipal corporation does not govern the place; instead, it is a part of more prominent administrative divisions like a county, city, township, parish, state, and province. In this article, we are going to know more about the history of Cypress and the places you need to check out while you’re there.
Before Cypress became the community that we know today, the area where it’s located used to be the home of various Atakapan Indian tribes. However, the tribes slowly died out when white settlers started to move into the area. In the 1840s, German immigrants began building their houses in Cypress Creek.
In 1878, a dance hall located on the Huffmeister Road got burned down. That is why Cypress’s people decided to rebuild the dance hall using corrugated tin and with the financial help given by the Cypress Gun and Rifle Club. From then on, the dance hall was named the Tin Hall, and it became a famous dance hall for more than a century after its construction.
In 1884, the first school in Cypress was built, and the original one-room school was turned into the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. Rice and dairy farming were the major jobs of Cypress residents until suburbanization began in the area during the 1950s.
During the mid-1980s, the community proper remained unincorporated, and it had fewer than 100 residents. Most of Cypress continued to be rural areas until developers began constructing several master-planned communities and other commercial buildings during the early 1990s. That is why today, the once rural area of Cypress is now considered one of Houston’s largest suburban communities.
Things to Do in Cypress
- Eat delicious burgers at the Original Shack Burger Resort – If you are looking for a place to eat in Cypress, we suggest that you head on down to the Original Shack Burger Resort. Not only do they serve the most delicious but innovative burgers in Cypress, and they also offer fantastic craft beers at a very reasonable price.
- Shop your heart out at Houston Premium Outlets – The Houston Premium Outlets has over 145 name-brand and designer outlet stores. This shopping center has it all for you from apparel, accessories, fine leather, jewelry, and shoes for men and women. If you get tired of shopping, this place also has several restaurants and outdoor courtyards where you can sit and relax.
- Be one with nature at Telge Park – If you want to unwind and relax while you’re in Cypress, then Telge park is the perfect place for you. This 111 acres park has the Cypress Creek running through it. You can have a picnic, ride a bike, and watch your children play in the playground while breathing in some fresh air.
- Go brewery hopping – Here in Cypress, you can take a five-hour guided tour that will let you see a whiskey distillery, vodka distillery, and a couple of craft breweries. On the tour, you can learn how to make beer, whiskey, and vodka from scratch. Aside from that, you can also have an opportunity to taste each of their products.
- Play golf at the Blackhorse Golf Club – The Blackhorse Golf Club is one of the top public golf courses in Texas. Take in the view of the picturesque landscape while playing a game in the two 18-hole courses. The golf club is surrounded by several mature trees, such as pine, oaks, and live oaks.