Buda, Texas Has Events Planned All Year Round
Buda is a city located in Hays County, Texas, and it is a part of the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos metropolitan statistical area. Aside from that, it is also one of Austin’s fastest-growing suburbs because it is home to several fast-growing small and medium-sized businesses. In this article, we are going to know more about Buda, Texas, and the events that happen there every year.
History of Buda, Texas
The first part of Buda, Texas, was built in 1880 along the International-Great Northern Railroad route that extends from Austin to San Antonio. Cornelia Trimble was the one who platted the town and established the streets and the railroad’s right of way. This allowed the railroad to build buildings on the parkland, including the depot that became the town’s lifeblood over the next few decades. After that, businesses started to pop up, such as the Carrington Hotel. From 1881 to 1887, the city was called “Du Pre,” however, when postal official found out that another town in Texas has the same name. That is why Cornelia Trimble and the town’s residents decided to rename the city to Buda. Along with this, the Carrington Hotel also changed its name to Buda House. The hotel owner said that the Buda came from the Spanish word “viuda” or widow. It is a reference to the widows who worked as cooks at the hotel.
In 1948, Buda was incorporated, and in the mid-1980s, businesses such as a cement plant and craft industries started to come to the town.
Events in Buda, Texas
- First Thursday – Buda Downtown Merchant’s Group hosts this event, and they encourage locals and visitors to visit and see the antique and specialty shops in the town. This is a free event that happens every first Thursday of the month.
- Farmer’s Market in Downtown – The Farmer’s Market downtown is open from March to October, and it gives locals and visitors fresh, healthy, high-quality, and reasonably priced locally grown produce. Aside from that, the Farmer’s Market in downtown Buda strongly focuses on sustainability.
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt – This event happens every Saturday before Easter. This is when kids run around the hunting ground to collect as many treats and eggs as they can. After the egg hunt, there are a lot of fun activities for the whole family.
- Buda Lions Country Fair and Wiener Dog Races – This event happens every last weekend of April, and over the years, it became a popular spring event that starts with a pet parade and follows by the famous Wiener Dog Races. Locals and visitors can cheer on their favorite wiener dog while enjoying other fun activities that take place at the fair. There are also other competitive events such as bake-off, BBQ cook-off, best-dressed dog contest, and washer tournament.
- Red, White n’ Buda Independence Day Celebration – This celebration takes place every fourth of July. The event starts with a morning children’s parade filled with wagons, decorative vehicles, and floats. Visitors can witness live music performances and cap the night with a spectacular fireworks display during the night.
- Fajita Fiesta – This event happens every September, and here you can eat and enjoy fajitas, BBQ, and other tasty foods. Besides eating, visitors can also enjoy watching different events such as a jalapeno eating contest, talent show, games, and mariachi groups. Aside from that, event-goers can also enjoy shopping and appreciating arts.
- Budafest – The Budafest happens every first weekend of December. It is a festival where people can witness a Christmas parade, carnival, and several artisans selling their handcrafted items such as decorations, jewelry, salsas, pottery, and candles.